Instructions – A Personal Reflection on Disasters or Mass Casualty Incidents
Course Objective met
1. Describe the human impact created by different types of disasters.
Assignment Objectives met
-Describe possible effects on victims, families,
neighborhoods & communities
-Recognize societal factors that increase loss to
life & property
-Describe possible effects on Healthcare
providers & responders
-Recall nursing implications
Reflection is a method of thinking deeply. It allows us to ponder not only that which is obvious to our senses, but all layers of the event, even to the possible intangibles. At least three (3) of the following aspects of the event, should be used for the best possible grade:
(Bogo, etal., 2011).
Option 1: Recollect a disaster or mass casualty incident that personally affected you (ie: you, your family, or your friends). If this is too painful for you to revisit, you may choose option two.
Option 2: If this has never occurred in your life, please consider a disaster or mass casualty incident that you are aware of by way of significant media/news exposure.
The subject matter may be recent or in the past. To refresh your memory, feel free to read old newspaper or internet reports. You must respond to all six (6) points below, and you must include at least 3 of the aspects mentioned in the Overview.
1. Describe what happened.
2. What were your thoughts and feelings as you lived the situation? (actual or vicariously)
3. What three (3 or more) aspects emerged throughout the event? (refer to the Overview above)
4. What did you learn about yourself or the event? (or those directly affected)
5. Why was the experience important to you?
6. Choose one thing you think would be helpful to those involved in the experience.