make a presentation on the impacts of technology on communication. I have research notes, but can you find more ? using Canva presentation Identify and explain your assigned factor. Provide background information on the assigned factor; Provide a minimum of 2 resources. Explain how the factor affects or influences IC, positively and negatively. What did your group learn about this factor and how will learning this help/benefit the development of your own IC skills? Now that you have learned how your assigned factor impacts IC, explain how you will apply this knowledge when in in class and furthermore in the CYC field. Provide at least 2 concrete examples for each. How have you or your group members experienced this factor in your personal or professional life? Share an experience with the class in your presentation.
Explaining what is technology
Technology is said to originate from two Greek words; techne and logia (Tulley, 2008). Techne means the art and skill of using the hands while logia means combining skills, techniques, modes, and ways involved in the production of goods and services. Technology uses scientific knowledge and skills to provide a solution to a problem and modify the present answers to puzzles among people (McCarthy & Wright, 2004).
How technology affects interpersonal communication
The use of technological advancements has a great impact on the interaction between individuals. Technological advancements have helped to overcome communication challenges. Speech generating devices help persons with speech impairments to communicate with others. The partially blind persons can use hearing aids, which help them hear and internalize speech hence delivering their message. In addition, it has shortened the distance that one needed to keep in touch with their folks. Traditionally one had to go to the exact location where their friend, family, or even a colleague is to relay information. With technology, one can confidently and effectively keep in touch with their loved ones.
The world has radically experienced the impact of skyrocketing technology that does not seem to halt anytime soon, particularly in the communication industry since the 20th century. In this case, social media stands out as a modern method of communication (Vijayalakshmi & Lawrence, 2018). Arguably, ever since man was created, he has discovered new ways to slake his thirst for interaction by creating means of communication, extending from simple language to progressive technologies such as computers and mobile phones. The only question a man is supposed to ask themselves is whether they have achieved their objectives or have ended up trading interpersonal communication for social media.
On the contrary, the use of scientific knowledge has negatively impacted interpersonal communication. People no longer embrace the personal touch, and prefer texting. Technology has also led to the rise in cyber-bullying. The lack of regulations among various social media platforms has resulted in various cases of online bullying and other ills that ruin interpersonal communication.
What my group has learned about the factor and how it will benefit the development of my IC skills.
My group has learned that technology has improved and promoted a reliable way of passing information among people. However, that does not mean that we should overlook the negative effects of the same. Technology will help be to converse with others more diligently in delivering the intended message. Additionally, technology will help us do more social networking and increase our interpersonal interactions worldwide, which will broaden our outlook on life.
How I will apply this knowledge in class
I understand that communication is essential in everyday life, and technology has removed any barriers to communication. I will use technology to check up on my friends effectively. I will also be mindful of how I use technology, ensure that I still have a normal personal connection with my peers, and ensure that I do not use technology to propagate hate on social media.
Have I experienced this factor in my personal or professional life?
Yes, I have. Technology has affected all aspects of my life. Communication has changed with the advent of various social media platforms. I find myself communicating with my friends and family, primarily on different social media platforms. I also landed a freelancing job in another country where the interview was conducted over the internet, so was the advertisement. Technology has changed how I lead my professional life as most company communications are delivered via email. We also have various teleconferencing meetings.
McCarthy, J., & Wright, P. (2004). Technology as experience. Interactions, 11(5), 42-43.
Tulley, R. J. (2008). Is there techne in my logos? On the origins and evolution of the ideographic term–technology. International Journal of Technology, Knowledge, and Society, 4(1).
Vijayalakshmi, S., & Lawrence, A. A. (2018). Impact of Social Networking Sites (SNSs) on Interpersonal Relationships among Middle Aged People.
Factors that Impact Interpersonal Communications Presentation
DUE DATE: Week 7- In-Class Monday, October 19th 2020 (week 7)
PERCENTAGE OF FINAL GRADE: 30%
Purpose of Assignment:
As discussed in class, there are several internal and external factors that influence Interpersonal Communication (IC) and the development of Interpersonal Relationships. This assignment will give you and your group members an opportunity to further research how such factors impact the development of your own IC skills.
You will also learn how such factors can influence the interpersonal relationships you develop, both personally and professionally.
Format of Assignment:
- Your group will be assigned a factor that influences IC.
- Create a 10-12-minute presentation with your findings.
- Use a Power point presentation to present this information (or a video)
- Submit a one-page handout of your findings to share with your peers. (See below for further details)
- All presentations will take place during class in week 7: October 19th 2020
- Presentation MUST be no longer or shorter than 10-12 minutes including time to respond to questions from your class.
One Page Handout: 5%
- The ONE-page Handout can be completed in point form and MUST be submitted by one group member on BB before the end on class to avoid late penalties (10%)
Tasks: You must answer all the questions below in your presentation AND your one-page Handout
- Identify and explain your assigned factor. Provide background information on the assigned factor; Provide a minimum of 2 resources.
- Explain how the factor affects or influences IC, positively and negatively.
- What did your group learn about this factor and how will learning this help/benefit the development of your own IC skills?
- Now that you have learned how your assigned factor impacts IC, explain how you will apply this knowledge when in in class and furthermore in the CYC field. Provide at least 2 concrete examples for each.
- How have you or your group members experienced this factor in your personal or professional life? Share an experience with the class in your presentation.
Please Note: Make sure your presentation follows the instructions below:
- You will be randomly put in groups of 5 or 6 students and will be assigned a topic/factor by the professor
- ALL GROUPS MEMBERS must be present online at the start of class. 10% late marks will be deducted for students who sign on line late on the day of the presentation Monday, October 19th 2020. Class begins online at 9am.
- All group members must participate in the presentation
- Only ONE group member will submit the Handout on Blackboard before the end of class on the day of the presentation. I will post this Handout for your peers.
- Proper APA format must be used (I suggest you use Perdue Owl). Review https://owl.purdue.edu for detailed information on APA formatting.
- Your presentation should be engaging and well prepared (practice & practice)
- Ensure that your Presentation appears professional. Be mindful of the overall appearance of your work. Must be well organized and visually appealing.
- Marks will be deducted for errors in APA, spelling, grammar and if your presentation goes over or under the assigned time (10-12mins) (Please See attached Rubric below)
Group Contract: 5% Due on BB by 11:59pm on October 13th 2020 (one week before the presentation).
- Your group will have time to work together on October 5th during class time so you can begin going over your contract and assigning tasks. The final contract must be submitted online in week 6, by October 13th 2020 (*I will be posting a pre-recorded lecture that week due to our October 12th class falling on the Thanksgiving holiday).
- This completed group contract is worth 5% of your mark.
- All members of the group must collaborate in the completion of the contract in order to receive marks.
Peer Feedback: 5% Individual Mark Due in class online on October 19th 2020
- Each group member will provide feedback to the 5 other groups presenting.
- You will submit your feedback by completing the Peer Feedback Form by clicking on the link provided by your professor after each presentation in class. You will receive 5% for the 5 feedback forms completed.
Impacts Presentation & Handout Grading Rubric
|Rubric Element||Grade||Level 1||Level 2||Level 3|
Are the assignment questions answered?
|/5||-Topic has been sourced from class slides only
-Most questions answered incorrectly or does not examine topic
|-Topic has been sourced from 1 additional resource
-Some questions answered, content gives a basic understanding of topic
|-Topic has been researched a variety of sources (atleast 2)
-All questions answered and content presented demonstrates a deeper examination of topic
How is the content delivered by the presenters
-Presenters seem unprepared with content & appear disorganized, reading directly from slides
-Presentation is over or under assigned time by 4+ minutes
-Presenters appear somewhat prepared but present in rote fashion reading directly from slides.
-Presentation is over or under assigned time by 2-3 minutes
-Presenters appear well prepared & organized.
-Demonstrates excellent understanding of content presented
-Presentation is within assigned time
How visually appealing is the presentation
– No creative method used to present information
– Slides lack visual appeal and are text heavy
– Creative method used to present information however lacked visual appeal
– Slides have some pictures but text heavy
Presentation is creative & engaging
– -Good use of media, (Videos, visually appealing power points with pictures etc)
|WRITTEN SKILLS: Does the Handout page include all requested information||/5||0-1
-No pictures and unclear.
Handout lacks main points & is written in a confusing way
-No APA used
-Some points included in an organized way.
Most questions answered
-Some APA used
-Visually appealing with pictures
-Includes all information an organized way
– All questions answered
-Proper APA used
|-2||Up to 2 marks deducted for spelling, grammar & structure|
|Final Score|| /20
|PLEASE NOTE:||10% WILL BE DEDUCTED FOR GROUP MEMBERS WHO SIGN IN LATE TO CLASS.|
Are you busy and do not have time to handle your assignment? Are you scared that your paper will not make the grade? Do you have responsibilities that may hinder you from turning in your assignment on time? Are you tired and can barely handle your assignment? Are your grades inconsistent?
Whichever your reason may is, it is valid! You can get professional academic help from our service at affordable rates. We have a team of professional academic writers who can handle all your assignments.
Our essay writers are graduates with diplomas, bachelor, masters, Ph.D., and doctorate degrees in various subjects. The minimum requirement to be an essay writer with our essay writing service is to have a college diploma. When assigning your order, we match the paper subject with the area of specialization of the writer.
- Plagiarism free papers
- Timely delivery
- Any deadline
- Skilled, Experienced Native English Writers
- Subject-relevant academic writer
- Adherence to paper instructions
- Ability to tackle bulk assignments
- Reasonable prices
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Get superb grades consistently